Sept. 22 @ 8:30 a.m. – TS Beta Phase 1 Storm Watch, Update 8
GLPC STORM WATCH
Tropical Storm Beta
Tuesday, September 22, 2020
GLPC remains in Storm Watch phase, monitoring the weather associated with Tropical Storm Beta.
Roadway conditions on LA 1 between Leon Theriot Lock in Golden Meadow and Leeville have not yet been deemed safe for passage by Louisiana State Police as coastal flooding continues in low-lying areas.
If water levels recede enough to allow travel on LA 1 from Golden Meadow sometime midday today near low tide, there is a potential window to allow limited use of the roadway to and from Port Fourchon for dock facility personnel to get people and/or supplies in or out of port. Port Fourchon Harbor Police will be monitoring traffic at a checkpoint to ensure that access is limited to port facility personnel only.
Port tenants and dock facility personnel, please be prepared for a short window of time to get in and out and be alert for updates regarding water levels and impending road closures. This flooding is expected to stretch over the next couple of days, and we anticipate prolonged road closure below the Golden Meadow Lock.
GLPC is in communications with Louisiana State Police, the Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office, and Lafourche Parish President Archie Chaisson III to ensure that LA 1 south of the Leon Theriot Lock in Golden Meadow will reopen when passage is safe and roadways are clear.
GLPC Harbor Police, Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office and Louisiana State Police are on scene and will continue to monitor water levels and roadway conditions and will send out updates as they become available.
POSSIBLE IMPACTS IN THE PORT FOURCHON AREA:
- RAINFALL: Rainfall 2-4 inches, with locally higher amounts possible. Slight risk of excessive rainfall that could lead to flash flooding.
- TIDES/STORM SURGE: Elevated tides are affecting low-lying portions of the area, with 3-4 feet inundation possible. Coastal flooding to persist, with minor to moderate impacts likely through high tide Thursday.
- WINDS: Strong winds possible.
- ROADWAYS: Roads are currently closed to vehicular traffic below the Leon Theriot Lock in Golden Meadow.
WARNINGS, WATCHES, & ADVISORIES (Updated 9/22/2020 @ 4:00 AM):
- Flash Flood Watch in effect for Lafourche Parish through Wednesday evening.
- Coastal Flood Warning in effect for Lafourche Parish.
- Wind Advisory in effect for Lafourche Parish.
NOTIFICATIONS AND WEATHER INFORMATION:
If you have signed up to any of our public information or emergency notification lists, e-mails, and/or social media, messages will be sent out regularly during a weather event with up-to-date information. If you would like to sign up for any notifications from the Port Commission, visit our NOTIFY ME page.
Visit the Port Commission’s WEATHER & STORM INFO webpage for links to current storm information, helpful storm prep information and resources, and contact updating forms.
We will continue to evaluate the threat this weather poses and keep you updated with any developing weather-related issues.