Oct. 28 @ 1:30 p.m. – Hurricane Zeta Phase 5 Storm in Port, Update 6
GLPC STORM PHASE 5: STORM IN PORT
Wednesday, October 28, 2020
Port Fourchon is in Storm Phase 5, which is Storm in Port, as Hurricane Zeta moves swiftly toward landfall later this afternoon as a Category 2 hurricane. A mandatory evacuation order is in place for all residents and businesses south of the Leon Theriot Lock in Golden Meadow as ordered by the Lafourche Parish president.
Travel below the floodgates is highly discouraged as storm waters rise and conditions deteriorate rapidly this afternoon.
Port Fourchon Harbor Police will be monitoring the condition of the roadway, and the Port Commission will send out updates as they become available.
After the storm has passed and roadways are cleared for passage, the Port Commission will notify port businesses when limited or full access is given to tenants to return and assess any damage to facilities.
All GLPC offices are on office closure today, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, but GLPC Harbor Police and essential personnel will remain on duty during the storm to monitor conditions and take action as needed. NOTE: Emergency services may not be readily available in areas under mandatory evacuation during extreme weather events. As during any emergency, dial 911.
POSSIBLE IMPACTS IN THE PORT FOURCHON AREA:
- RAINFALL: Rainfall totals of 2-4 inches with locally higher amounts possible. Greater risk for heavy rain with rain bands.
- TIDES/STORM SURGE: 5-8 feet of storm surge is currently forecast for the Port Fourchon area. Moderate to major coastal flooding likely near Zeta’s center track. Highest water levels are expected this afternoon and tonight. Dangerous marine conditions.
- WINDS: Strong to damaging winds expected, with sustained tropical force winds and/or hurricane force winds near Zeta’s center. A few short-lived, fast-moving tornadoes possible as well as waterspouts in marine areas.
- ROADWAYS: Roads are open to vehicular traffic at this time, but be alert for closure notices as storm waters rise. Expect LA 1 to be closed to all vehicles south of the Leon Theriot Lock in Golden Meadow once water levels overtop the roadway and impact safety.
WARNINGS, WATCHES, & ADVISORIES (Updated 10/28/2020 @ 1:00 PM):
- Hurricane Warning in effect for Lafourche Parish.
- Storm Surge Warning in effect for Lafourche Parish.
- Flood Watch in effect until 7:00 a.m. tomorrow, October 29
- Tornado Watch in effect until midnight
EMERGENCY STORM HARBOR MARINA:
GLPC has opened the Emergency Storm Harbor Marina to commercial fishing vessels seeking safe harbor within the South Lafourche Levee System. Utilization of this marina will be on a first come, first served basis. Harbor Police will be on scene to monitor marina activity.
Visit this link to view GLPC Ordinance No. 74 regarding Storm Harbor Marina use:
NOTIFICATIONS AND WEATHER INFORMATION:
If you have signed up to any of our public information or emergency notification lists, e-mails, and/or social media, messages will be sent out regularly during a weather event with up-to-date information. If you would like to sign up for any notifications from the Port Commission, visit our NOTIFY ME page.
Visit the Port Commission’s WEATHER & STORM INFO webpage for links to current storm information, helpful storm prep information and resources, and contact updating forms.
We will continue to evaluate the threat this weather poses and keep you updated with any developing weather-related issues.