June 7 @ 12:00 p.m. – Cristobal Storm in Port, Update 9
GLPC STORM PHASE 5: STORM IN PORT
Tropical Storm Cristobal
Sunday, June 7, 2020
Port Fourchon remains in Storm Phase 5: Storm in Port as Tropical Storm Cristobal approaches, and residents and businesses south of the Leon Theriot Lock in Golden Meadow are under a mandatory evacuation order.
Louisiana State Police have closed LA 1 from the Golden Meadow Lock south as water is beginning to cover the roadway in multiple locations, especially in the low-lying stretch of roadway between the Leon Theriot locks in Golden Meadow and the elevated highway ramp in Leeville.
Port Fourchon roadways remain clear and dock facilities are faring well without any water encroachment at this time.
After the storm has passed and roadways are cleared for passage, the Port Commission will notify port businesses when limited or full access is given to tenants to return and assess any damage to facilities.
POSSIBLE IMPACTS IN THE PORT FOURCHON AREA:
- RAINFALL: Several rounds of heavy rainfall are possible; rain bands for prolonged periods could cause flash flooding as Cristobal moves inland.
- TIDES/STORM SURGE: Coastal flooding is occurring; inundation depths of 2-4 feet have been forecast.
- WINDS: Tropical storm force winds are beginning to be observed as storm bands move in.
- ROADWAYS: LA 1 below Golden Meadow Lock has been closed per Louisiana State Police.
WARNINGS, WATCHES, & ADVISORIES (National Weather Service updated 6/7/2020 @ 10:00 AM):
- TROPICAL STORM WARNING in effect until further notice.
- STORM SURGE ADVISORY of 2-4 feet in effect until further notice.
EMERGENCY STORM HARBOR MARINA:
GLPC has opened the Emergency Storm Harbor Marina to commercial fishing vessels seeking safe harbor within the South Lafourche Levee System. Utilization of this marina will be on a first come, first served basis. Harbor Police will be on scene to monitor marina activity.
Visit this link to view GLPC Ordinance No. 74 regarding Storm Harbor Marina use:
NOTIFICATIONS AND WEATHER INFORMATION:
If you have signed up to any of our public information or emergency notification lists, e-mails, and/or social media, messages will be sent out regularly during a weather event with up-to-date information. If you would like to sign up for any notifications from the Port Commission, visit our NOTIFY ME page.
Visit the Port Commission’s WEATHER & STORM INFO webpage for links to current storm information, helpful storm prep information and resources, and contact updating forms.
We will continue to evaluate the threat this weather poses and keep you updated with any developing weather-related issues.