August 29 @ 8:45 a.m. – Ida Phase 5 Storm in Port, Update 7
GLPC STORM PHASE 5: STORM IN PORT
August 29, 2021
Port Fourchon is in Storm Phase 5, which is Storm in Port, as Hurricane Ida moves swiftly toward landfall later this afternoon as a major hurricane. Hurricane Ida is currently a Category 4 hurricane. Ida is expected to impact the Port Fourchon area directly with heavy rainfall, significant storm surge outside of the levee system, and hurricane force winds.
A mandatory evacuation order and curfew are in place until further notice for all of Lafourche Parish as ordered by the Lafourche Parish president.
The South Lafourche Levee District has closed the gate over LA 1 at the Leon Theriot Lock in Golden Meadow. The Ted Gisclair Floodgate in Larose and the Leon Theriot Lock in Golden Meadow are closed to all marine traffic. They will remain closed until the storm threat has passed.
After the storm has passed and roadways are cleared for passage, the Port Commission will notify port businesses when limited or full access is given to tenants to return and assess any damage to facilities.
All GLPC offices are on office closure on Monday, August 30, 2021, but GLPC Harbor Police and essential personnel will remain on duty during the storm to monitor conditions and take action as needed. NOTE: Emergency services may not be readily available in areas under mandatory evacuation during extreme weather events. As during any emergency, dial 911.
POSSIBLE IMPACTS IN THE PORT FOURCHON AREA:
- RAINFALL: Heavy rainfall of 10-20 inches is forecast through Tuesday.
- TIDES/STORM SURGE: Potential risk of 8-12 feet of storm surge at peak for the Port Fourchon area. Significant coastal flooding is anticipated. Dangerous marine conditions.
- WINDS: Tropical storm force winds are moving inland, with hurricane force winds expected when Ida moves onshore. A few weak and short-lived tornadoes possible in rain bands.
- ROADWAYS: LA 1 is currently closed to vehicular traffic below the Golden Meadow Lock, and a parish-wide curfew is in effect.
WARNINGS, WATCHES, & ADVISORIES (Updated 8/29/2021 @ 4:00 AM):
- Hurricane Warning in effect until further notice for Lafourche Parish and all of coastal Louisiana.
- Storm Surge Warning in effect until further notice for Lafourche Parish.
- Flash Flood Watch in effect for all of southeastern Louisiana through 7:00 a.m. Tuesday.
- Extreme Wind Warning in effect for Lafourche Parish through 10:45 a.m. today.
EMERGENCY STORM HARBOR MARINA:
GLPC has opened the Emergency Storm Harbor Marina to commercial fishing vessels seeking safe harbor within the South Lafourche Levee System. Utilization of this marina will be on a first come, first served basis. Harbor Police will be on scene to monitor marina activity.
Visit this link to view GLPC Ordinance No. 74 regarding Storm Harbor Marina use:
NOTIFICATIONS AND WEATHER INFORMATION:
If you have signed up to any of our public information or emergency notification lists, e-mails, and/or social media, messages will be sent out regularly during a weather event with up-to-date information. If you would like to sign up for any notifications from the Port Commission, visit our NOTIFY ME page.
Visit the Port Commission’s WEATHER & STORM INFO webpage for links to current storm information, helpful storm prep information and resources, and contact updating forms.
We will continue to evaluate the threat this weather poses and keep you updated with any developing weather-related issues.