August 26 @ 6:30 p.m. – Phase 5 Laura, Update 14
GLPC STORM PHASE 5: STORM IN PORT
Wednesday, August 26, 2020
Port Fourchon remains in Storm Phase 5, which is Storm in Port.
Laura is now a strong Category 4 hurricane forecast to make landfall in southeast Texas or southwest Louisiana late tonight/early Thursday. The highest threat to our area remains storm surge across coastal Louisiana.
Officials have closed the section of LA 1 south of the Golden Meadow Lock to vehicular traffic, as storm waters have overtopped the roadway.
GLPC Harbor Police, Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office and Louisiana State Police are on scene and will continue to monitor water levels and roadway conditions and will send out updates as they become available.
You are encouraged to remain inside shelter and stay alert as we expect to receive more severe weather within the next several hours.
Lafourche Parish remains under a mandatory evacuation for all residents and businesses south of the Leon Theriot Lock in Golden Meadow as of 12:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 23, 2020.
All GLPC offices are on office closure effective 6:00 a.m. on Wednesday, August 26, 2020 and will remain closed until the threat of the storm has passed, but GLPC Harbor Police and essential personnel will remain on duty during the storm to monitor conditions and take action as needed. NOTE: Emergency services may not be readily available in areas under mandatory evacuation during extreme weather events. As during any emergency, dial 911.
After the storm has passed and roadways are cleared for passage, the Port Commission will notify port businesses when limited or full access is given to tenants to return and assess any damage to facilities.
POSSIBLE IMPACTS IN THE PORT FOURCHON AREA:
- RAINFALL: Intermittent rain bands through Wednesday night and Thursday, with coastal flooding possible if any bands result in prolonged heavy rainfall over one area.
- TIDES/STORM SURGE: Storm surge of 4-7 feet possible. Mild to moderate coastal flooding, especially during high tide today and Thursday; dangerous marine conditions.
- WINDS: Strong/gusty winds and a few short-lived/fast-moving tornadoes will also be possible in any bands, but most tropical force winds are expected to remain west of Port Fourchon.
- ROADWAYS: LA 1 is closed to all vehicles south of the Leon Theriot Lock in Golden Meadow. A checkpoint manned by law enforcement has been put in place to monitor traffic and road conditions below the lock.
WARNINGS, WATCHES, & ADVISORIES (Updated 8/26/2020 @ 4:00 PM):
- TROPICAL STORM WARNING in effect
- STORM SURGE WARNING in effect
- FLASH FLOOD WARNING in effect through 7:00 p.m. Thursday
- TORNADO WATCH in effect through 9:00 p.m. tonight
EMERGENCY STORM HARBOR MARINA:
GLPC has opened the Emergency Storm Harbor Marina to commercial fishing vessels seeking safe harbor within the South Lafourche Levee System. Utilization of this marina will be on a first come, first served basis. Harbor Police will be on scene to monitor marina activity.
Visit this link to view GLPC Ordinance No. 74 regarding Storm Harbor Marina use:
NOTIFICATIONS AND WEATHER INFORMATION:
If you have signed up to any of our public information or emergency notification lists, e-mails, and/or social media, messages will be sent out regularly during a weather event with up-to-date information. If you would like to sign up for any notifications from the Port Commission, visit our NOTIFY ME page.
Visit the Port Commission’s WEATHER & STORM INFO webpage for links to current storm information, helpful storm prep information and resources, and contact updating forms.
We will continue to evaluate the threat this weather poses and keep you updated with any developing weather-related issues affecting port or airport.