GLPC STORM PHASE V: STORM IN PORT, TS BARRY UPDATE 10
GLPC STORM PHASE V: STORM IN PORT
TROPICAL STORM BARRY
July 13, 2019
Port Fourchon remains in Storm Phase V, which is Storm in Port. This means that a tropical storm or hurricane will make landfall within 24 hours. There are no changes to watches and warnings, as strong wind gusts and bands of rain will continue today.
While Port Fourchon itself has fared well, only experiencing power outages so far, the portion of unelevated roadway between the Leon Theriot Lock in Golden Meadow and Leeville has been inundated with storm waters overtopping the low-lying roadway. LA 1 south of the Golden Meadow Lock remains closed to vehicular traffic until further notice. Visit our social media pages and Weather & Storm Info webpage for photos posted of the ongoing flooding immediately south of the lock.
The roadway will be reopened once waters have receded and debris has been cleared.
GLPC Harbor Police, Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office and Louisiana State Police are on scene and will continue to monitor water levels and roadway conditions and will send out updates as they become available.
The Lafourche Parish curfew from 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. has ended, but parish officials urge residents to stay off roadways as strong winds and rain continue to impact our area.
Lafourche Parish has issued a mandatory evacuation for all residents and businesses south of the Leon Theriot Lock in Golden Meadow as of 6:00 a.m. on July 12, 2019.
The town of Grand Isle is currently under mandatory evacuation, effective Thursday, July 11, 2019, at 12:00 p.m.
POSSIBLE IMPACTS IN THE PORT FOURCHON AREA (Per National Weather Service update on 7/13/2019 @ 14:00 AM):
• RAINFALL: Rainfall totals of 10 to 20 inches are possible, locally heavier in some areas. Occasional bands of tropical showers with periods of brief, heavy rainfall.
• TIDES/STORM SURGE: Expected storm surge of 3-6 feet, maximizing Saturday as Barry moves onshore and pushes water inland.
• WINDS: Tropical storm force winds today. Gusty winds at 30 to 65 mph, with 75 mph gusts possible near the center and in bands. Isolated tornadoes and waterspouts possible.
• ROADWAYS: LA 1 closed to all vehicles south of the Leon Theriot Lock in Golden Meadow. A checkpoint manned by law enforcement has been put in place to monitor traffic and road conditions below the lock.
WARNINGS, WATCHES, & ADVISORIES (NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE Update 7/13/2019 @ 4:00 AM):
• HURRICANE WARNING (from Intracoastal City to Grand Isle) in effect.
• TROPICAL STORM WARNING (for Louisiana coast) in effect.
• STORM SURGE WARNING (from Intracoastal City to Shell Beach) in effect.
• FLASH FLOOD WATCH in effect.
EMERGENCY STORM HARBOR MARINA:
GLPC has opened the Emergency Storm Harbor Marina to commercial fishing vessels seeking safe harbor within the South Lafourche Levee System. Utilization of this marina will be on a first come, first served basis. Harbor Police will be on scene to monitor marina activity.
Visit this link to view GLPC Ordinance No. 74 regarding Storm Harbor Marina use:
NOTIFICATIONS AND WEATHER INFORMATION:
If you have signed up to any of our public information or emergency notification lists, e-mails, and/or social media, messages will be sent out regularly during a weather event with up-to-date information. If you would like to sign up for any notifications from the Port Commission, visit our NOTIFY ME page.
Visit the Port Commission’s WEATHER & STORM INFO webpage for links to current storm information, helpful storm prep information and resources, and contact updating forms.
We will continue to monitor this potential disturbance and keep you updated with any developing weather-related issues affecting port and airport.