GLPC STORM PHASE V: STORM IN PORT, TS BARRY UPDATE 8
GLPC STORM PHASE V: STORM IN PORT
TROPICAL STORM BARRY
July 12, 2019
Port Fourchon is in Storm Phase V, which is Storm in Port. This means that a tropical storm or hurricane will make landfall within 24 hours.
Rising water levels and tropical force winds are beginning to be felt at Port Fourchon.
You are encouraged to remain inside shelter and stay alert as we expect to receive more severe weather within the next several hours.
All GLPC offices are scheduled to close at 12:00 noon today, but GLPC Harbor Police and essential personnel will remain on duty during the storm to monitor conditions and take action as needed.
NOTE: Emergency services may not be readily available in areas under mandatory evacuation during extreme weather events. As during any emergency, dial 911.
Lafourche Parish has issued a mandatory evacuation for all residents and businesses south of the Leon Theriot Lock in Golden Meadow as of 6:00 a.m. on July 12, 2019.
The town of Grand Isle is currently under mandatory evacuation, effective Thursday, July 11, 2019, at 12:00 p.m.
POSSIBLE IMPACTS IN THE PORT FOURCHON AREA (Per National Weather Service update on 7/12/2019 @ 10:00 AM):
- RAINFALL: Rainfall totals of 10 to 20 inches are possible, locally heavier in some areas. Occasional bands of showers and thunderstorms with brief, heavy rainfall today. Heaviest rain likely to occur Friday night through Sunday morning.
- TIDES/STORM SURGE: Expected storm surge of 3-6 feet, maximizing Saturday as Barry moves onshore and pushes water inland.
- WINDS: Tropical storm force winds today. Gusty winds at 30 to 65 mph, with 75 mph gusts possible near the center and in bands. Isolated tornadoes and waterspouts possible.
- ROADWAYS: No closures in effect at this time, but a checkpoint manned by law enforcement has been put in place to monitor traffic and road conditions below the lock. Expect LA 1 to be closed to all vehicles south of the Leon Theriot Lock in Golden Meadow once water levels overtop the roadway and impact safety.
WARNINGS, WATCHES, & ADVISORIES (NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE Update 7/12/2019 @ 10:00 AM):
- HURRICANE WARNING (from Intracoastal City to Grand Isle) in effect.
- TROPICAL STORM WARNING (for Louisiana coast) in effect.
- STORM SURGE WARNING (from Intracoastal City to Shell Beach) in effect.
- FLASH FLOOD WATCH in effect.
EMERGENCY STORM HARBOR MARINA:
GLPC has opened the Emergency Storm Harbor Marina to commercial fishing vessels seeking safe harbor within the South Lafourche Levee System. Utilization of this marina will be on a first come, first served basis. Harbor Police will be on scene to monitor marina activity.
Visit this link to view GLPC Ordinance No. 74 regarding Storm Harbor Marina use:
NOTIFICATIONS AND WEATHER INFORMATION:
If you have signed up to any of our public information or emergency notification lists, e-mails, and/or social media, messages will be sent out regularly during a weather event with up-to-date information. If you would like to sign up for any notifications from the Port Commission, visit our NOTIFY ME page.
Visit the Port Commission’s WEATHER & STORM INFO webpage for links to current storm information, helpful storm prep information and resources, and contact updating forms.
We will continue to monitor this potential disturbance and keep you updated with any developing weather-related issues affecting port and airport.